Archive for January, 2010

Sunday 31st January 1915

Sunday, January 31st, 2010

As the men were standing to arms at 4 a.m. 4 or 5 shots rang out in quick succession and in a few minutes men had scuttled in from their bivouacs and manned the trenches. After this however all was quiet. Enquiries located the firing opposite one of No.3’s trenches and apparently one or more [...]

Saturday 30th January 1915

Saturday, January 30th, 2010

At 4 a.m. orders reached Coy Headquarters to concentrate immediately at El Kubri about 2½ miles further north on the Canal. Orderlies were soon dispatched to the different platoons and at 4.20 the Company had assembled and was marching to the rendez-vous.  It was smart work especially on the part of No 1 Platoon who received [...]

Friday 29th January 1915

Friday, January 29th, 2010

4 a.m. found every man in a state of readiness in the trenches peering towards the East to try and discover the long overdue enemy. Daylight dawned and general disappointment quickly vanished with the announcement of rations and breakfast. The men spent the day quietly improving their trenches and constructing shell proof bivouacs. Platoons vied [...]

Thursday 28th January 1915

Thursday, January 28th, 2010

A quiet night – and daylight found the trenches fully manned and everyone waiting for the enemy which did not arrive. It was a calm bright moonlight night, in great contrast to the rest of the day (27th) which was windy and rainy, quite a typical Wellington day. The men were keenly looking for a [...]

Wednesday 27th January 1915

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010

There was no reveille this morning. We were all awakened very early 4 a.m. by heavy firing from the Canal about a mile to our front followed by gun fire. Men in the bivouac stood to arms and a platoon was sent out to get touch with Otago Battalion on our right. The firing continued [...]

Tuesday 26th January 1915

Tuesday, January 26th, 2010

A warm cloudy morning. Other regiments moving out ahead of us, judging from noise in their lines. 
Tuesday January 26th 1915. At Kubri, 8p.m. We paraded at 6.45 a.m. 240 all ranks including attached, and proceeded to Palais de Kubbeh station about 1½ miles. We entrained at 8 a.m. and train was dispatched at 10.30 for [...]

Monday 25th January 1915

Monday, January 25th, 2010

Day spent in repitching camp and erecting extra tents for the reinforcements. A Platoon from each Company engaged in erecting Australian Regiment’s tents at Heliopolis Aerodrome. About 6 p.m. word came through that the Turks were approaching the canal and we would be making an early move. Great excitement among the men who were delighted [...]

Sunday 24th January 1915

Sunday, January 24th, 2010

A quiet day. Usual church parade. Very hot in afternoon.  Visited Egyptian Museum.

Saturday 23rd January 1915

Saturday, January 23rd, 2010

Parades under S.M’s at 8 a.m.  Meeting of officers at 8.30 a.m. Address by G.O.C. Capt. Camerons birthday. Leave in afternoon.

Friday 22nd January 1915

Friday, January 22nd, 2010

A cool cloudy day. Regimental parade 8 am. Men with bad arms about 250 under Major Cunningham. Proceeded out to watch Auckland Infantry and 2 Batteries in attack, Batteries Firing Shell. Platoon work in afternoon.  Attended lecture on Egypt in evening, YMCA.